Pasadena Domestic Violence Lawyer
California does not take domestic violence cases lightly and as a victim,
you can seek help. All too often, spousal abuse and child abuse cases
go unreported and the victims suffer without pursuing justice. This can
happen due to a fear of retaliation of the abuser or for a variety of
other reasons. Don't suffer in silence. Let Goldberg & Gille help you.
We have helped countless individuals get the relief that they need in their
current violent situations. Our Pasadena family law attorney is a board
certified legal specialist, and is prepared to take the steps to ensure
your safety. Our clients come first and we do all that we can to help.
How Can I Get Help?
When you are hurting and afraid, when you are keeping secrets about the
violence in your home, you wonder whether anyone can help - whether anyone
would understand. We know you may be worried about making the right choices.
You may be asking "what will I do now that I want to leave the abuse?
What will I do for money? How will I protect myself? How will I protect
the baby?" At Goldberg & Gille, we have long understood the physical
and emotional injuries of abuse victims. We will fight for your right
to live a safe and happy life away from the pain.
Immediately after a domestic abuse incident, take the following steps:
- Call the police and seek Emergency Protective Orders immediately.
- File for temporary restraining orders, which last until the noticed hearing.
- Take clear pictures of fresh bruises, cuts, etc.
- Save threatening text messages, voice mails, emails, letters, and other messages.
- Show the injuries to potential witnesses.
- Go to the emergency room or doctor's office for any necessary medical
Witnesses, pictures, messages, doctors, x-rays, etc., help us prove your
case. With any of these, the judge will more easily see that you deserve
to be protected. We also understand that most abusers are not pure evil
just as most abuse victims blame themselves unnecessarily. We know that
you still may be emotionally attached despite the abuse. We help you get
to the right relief so there can be a safe end to the cycle of anger,
violence, apologies, anger, violence, apologies.
Perhaps substance abuse or mental illness is helping your abuser become
violent. If you have any proof of why the abuser does what he or she does,
we will use that in court to obtain orders for rehabilitative steps such
as court-ordered anger management, drug or alcohol testing, 12-step programs,
or even a psychological evaluation, depending on your case.
Other orders that we routinely ask for include:
- Stay away orders
- Non-harassment orders
- Property protection
- School or work protection
- Kick-out orders
- Exclusive use of vehicles
- Gun removal
- Anti-stalking orders
Restraining Order Process
we are ready to act fast on your case to get you an initial hearing at
8:30 a.m. the next court day. We will first seek a
temporary restraining order from an abusive spouse, intimate partner, or domestic partner with little
or no notice to the abuser, depending on the facts. Our track record of
successes in obtaining permanent restraining orders is based on our solid
use of evidence, and our ability to prove your case. A
permanent restraining order will be granted for a period of time that the judge determines, usually
from one to five years. Our Pasadena family lawyers will be with you for
both the temporary and the permanent restraining order phases.
Take the following steps to file for a restraining order:
- Guiding you on what facts are most important to present, filling out paperwork,
and helping you write your declaration using all of your evidence and witnesses
- Determining when you can safely have a no-notice hearing.
- Figuring out when you must give 24-hour notice.
- Submitting papers and arguing your case at the temporary restraining order hearing
- Getting the abuser served if he or she was not at the preliminary hearing
- Guiding you on interim steps such as retrieving belongings
- Conducting discovery and being with you during your deposition
- Presenting your case at the noticed hearing
- Waiting for, and often preparing, the Orders given by the judge
- Assisting in obtaining any therapy or courses, testing, evaluations, child-visitation
monitors, etc., that will be necessary after the restraining orders are issued
Take Action to Protect Your Family
We will be there to help through the entire process. We help you file a
restraining order and assist you in holding the abuser accountable for
his or her actions in divorce cases, intimate partner cases, domestic
partnerships, family members, and former dating relationships. We have
more than 80 years of combined experience protecting individuals and their families and we can help you. Team up
with an experienced
family law attorney in Pasadena today for help.
Goldberg & Gille offers an
initial consultation. In these emergency situations, we will meet you after hours or on most
Saturday mornings. We check our email throughout the work day and periodically
until 9 pm every night. We will return all after-hours calls as soon as
the office opens in the morning so leave a safe number or a safe email
address for us to use to contact you. If you have no safe number, have
a friend or family member contact us on your behalf.